Skip to main content

Man up!

Sunday's half marathon was the next to last race in the MRTC Road Race Series. That means I am a month away from the St. Jude Marathon. And what an experience.....

This was my first time running in a week and a half. The last time I tried to run I had a terrible pain on the very first step I took. It was odd because I had been up and walking around all night at work and never had even the slightest hint of pain. Not even as I was walking out the door to go run. In hindsight it was probably a case of overuse. The night before I had done some fartleks. I had not done any speed work in a while so I pushed it a little. I felt great afterwards and the next morning. The reason I ran like that was because I had to change my schedule to get my workouts in. I probably should have rested instead.

After talking to my old running partner/coach and two other trainers I was convinced it would be best not to run the half marathon on Sunday. That was a terrible feeling because I really want to get that Road Warrior trophy for finishing all ten races in the series. I really didn't want the knee to become an issue this close to the marathon.

That was the plan. Until the unlikliest person talked me into running it. My wife gave me a little pep talk and kinda challenged me. After I explained the situation to her the conversation went like this:

What she said: When I played sports and had an injury, if I could walk around and there was no problems I would play. If it only hurts sporadically it's probably not injured.

What I heard: Stop being a p*ssy and run the f*cking race you little b*tch!
When it was presented to me like that I had no choice: time to man up!

The race started out pretty well. I knew I needed to take it easy and not start out too fast because I wasn't sure how my knee or the rest of my body would react after the long layoff. I kept a pretty good pace, maybe an 8:00 - 8:30 pace. I fogot my watch so I am just guessing by the way I felt.

The first half of the race went really well. No pain anywhere other than a little soreness in my hamstrings. I was actually excited about that soreness because I knew I was working them pretty well. (Warning sign? I don't see no stinking warning sign!)

Once I got to the halfway point it was time to turn and go back the way we came. Into the wind. That was probably a good thing because it kept me from really trying to speed up. I didn't want to fight the wind so I just kept a steady pace. The next few miles went well also. I started getting tired but nothing terrible.
 I was able to push myself a little without any pain.

When I was about 100 yards away from the 11 mile marker I started to think about walking. That usually happens towards the end of a half marathon for me. Always about the same place. And just like every other time it happens I reminded myself that I DO NOT walk and that I am almost done.

And then it happened.....a sniper shot to the right hamstring! (There were no buildings around so the gunman must have been on a grassy knoll.) I limped to the 11 mile marker spouting off obscenities. From there I walked about a half mile. I started back running but at a much slower pace.

Once I got to the 13 mile marker all I could think was "I just have 1/10th of a mile left!" I thought I could push through and finish strong but the hammy just kept tightening up so I limped to the finish line. But I made it.

It was great not having the knee be an issue, but discouraging about the hammy. I'll just have to stretch it and get it right for my next half marathon in two weeks.

I am so glad that my wife talked me into running the race. I would have been miserable if I didn't run that race and missed out on being a Road Warrior.

Comments

  1. Glad you were able to finish. Sorry you injured yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. My inability to rest my injuries reminds me of a certain yoga teacher that we know. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally plan

Music Monday: 100 Million Miles

This week's Music Monday is 100 Million Miles by Monster Magnet. This is one of my favorite running songs. It's really been my mantra for the last few races I have run. I just finished up the MRTC Road Race Series. This year has been a lot harder because I have been dealing with more pain and injuries. This song reminds me that I just have to keep pushing and that when I am done running I can rest and recuperate. I also love the steady beat of the drums. On a easier run I sync each step with each beat. On my harder days I sync my right foot to each beat. That means a lot of turnover! The song is not about running but the chorus and drum beat make it a perfect running song. "Hey, there ain't no pain! 100 million miles away!" Enjoy!

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest. The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea. I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one o