Skip to main content

The Road Warrior and the turtle

This past Sunday was the final race of the MRTC Road Race Series. And since I finished all ten races I am officially a Road Warrior!

This last race was a half marathon. Usually I would have tried to get a PR because it is a relatively flat course. But my goal this time was to not get injured two weeks before my marathon. Two weeks before this race was when I got shot in the hamstring. I didn't want something like that to happen again. I just needed to finish. My time was the slowest I have ever run (1:56:31) but I kept it slow and steady.

During the week when I was out running I ran by a turtle that was crossing the road. I thought it was hilarious. I thought "I must be the rabbit". The more I thought about it the more I realized that right now I need to slow down a bit. My body is obviously trying to tell me something. I have gone injury free for these last four years since I have been running. No matter how much I put my legs, knees, hamstrings, quads, ankles and feet through I never had any serious issues. Yes things would ache or be stiff or tight, but nothing that a day off couldn't fix.

Until recently.

Since I started training for my marathon I have had knee, knee, foot, knee and hamstring issues. Every time I would start to really crank up my training something new would pop up. It wasn't just the usual aches and pains. These were things that I could not run through. I tried to push them and tough it out but they altered my stride and were working against me.

So there I was, in the last race before my big marathon with my knee, foot and hamstring poking me to let me know they are still not 100%. I can take this slowly and deal with a small amount of pain or try and push it and deal with a potentially worse situation.

So I became a turtle. Slow and steady. Most of the people around me were huffing and puffing but I was just gliding. It felt great to finish feeling good. I set my ego aside and didn't make things worse for myself. I always hate seeing people finish ahead of me that I know I can beat.

But not this time.

This time I am a Road Warrior AND a turtle.

Comments

  1. Way to go! I figure when you need to run slow you can just think of my giant pregnant butt plugging along getting now where real fast. =) Have a great marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You weren't running that slow. Everyone around you was just moving too fast! I told you I needed to slow down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally plan

Music Monday: 100 Million Miles

This week's Music Monday is 100 Million Miles by Monster Magnet. This is one of my favorite running songs. It's really been my mantra for the last few races I have run. I just finished up the MRTC Road Race Series. This year has been a lot harder because I have been dealing with more pain and injuries. This song reminds me that I just have to keep pushing and that when I am done running I can rest and recuperate. I also love the steady beat of the drums. On a easier run I sync each step with each beat. On my harder days I sync my right foot to each beat. That means a lot of turnover! The song is not about running but the chorus and drum beat make it a perfect running song. "Hey, there ain't no pain! 100 million miles away!" Enjoy!

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest. The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea. I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one o