Skip to main content

Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

When I am training for a race I always try to get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Usually there is some point in each race that I really get an uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes it is a feeling that I can't physically do what I want. Sometimes I mentally get down and I feel like I can't do what I want to do. Either way it just stinks.

I know it is a confidence issue. When I have trained for a race I know I am ready physically. I also know that I am mentally ready. But there always seems to be that little issue where maybe something just isn't going my way and I just have to get through it.  That is why I say I have to get comfortable being uncomfortable.

I always like to pick a day when I am tired physically and mentally and use my run for that day to push myself. On a training run I can go as hard or as easy as I want. But during a race I need to GO! When I hit that place where I start to lose confidence it helps to be able to know that I can push through it. Sure I feel like crap but I have been in this place before while in training and I know I can get past it.

There have been plenty of times that I just wanted to quit a training run but I didn't because I know If I quit now I might quit in a race. If I know how to handle that uncomfortable feeling I can push through and finish the way I want. That is why those training days where I am tired can be life savers come race day.

Probably my worst feeling during a race was a 5k that I really struggled in. Kinda. The race was a week after a half marathon that I trained really hard for and didn't finish how I wanted. Also that week before the race was the end of a weight loss competition at work that I didn't really put much effort into. Until the last two weeks. I lost about 9 pounds that last week trying to get to my goal. Not a real good idea. Add to that I had some personal issues I was dealing with so when I got to the starting line I was a freaking zombie. At one point in the race the course turned right and I just wanted to turn left and sit down somewhere and cry.

What got me through that?

Almost all of my runs are in the late morning/early afternoon. After I have been at work all night. I know what it is like to run tired. I have songs on my ipod that get me going emotionally. I almost always have to run by myself because everyone thinks I can't slow down for them (I can by the way). I also lift weights most days before I run.

So there I am. Sleepy, physically tired, emotionally spent and competing against myself. I can get pretty uncomfortable.

I just had a friend tell me that it is just something runners do. I agree. Most of our time running is by ourselves so we really have to find that will to fight through whatever is in our way on our own.

And that terrible race that I had? I finished one freaking second behind my PR at the time. And second in my age group. Good enough for 7th overall.

I guess I was just comfortable being uncomfortable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally plan

Music Monday: 100 Million Miles

This week's Music Monday is 100 Million Miles by Monster Magnet. This is one of my favorite running songs. It's really been my mantra for the last few races I have run. I just finished up the MRTC Road Race Series. This year has been a lot harder because I have been dealing with more pain and injuries. This song reminds me that I just have to keep pushing and that when I am done running I can rest and recuperate. I also love the steady beat of the drums. On a easier run I sync each step with each beat. On my harder days I sync my right foot to each beat. That means a lot of turnover! The song is not about running but the chorus and drum beat make it a perfect running song. "Hey, there ain't no pain! 100 million miles away!" Enjoy!

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest. The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea. I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one o