Skip to main content

Music Monday: One Man Army

This week's Music Monday is "One Man Army" by Our Lady Peace.

For the regular readers of my blog who wonder why most of my Music Monday posts are about an OLP song when I have them listed as my second favorite band on my Top 5 page, well...... maybe you forgot this post. The purpose of these posts are to get the music out there that inspires me and OLP is the most inspirational band for me. I will not rest until everyone I know is an OLP fan! Or until I run out of songs to post. Either way you are stuck with them.

This song is another important song for me because it was one of my "theme songs" while I was losing weight a few years ago. For me the song represents my journey towards my goal that I had to make on my own. Staci helped me a lot along the way. There is no way I did it alone. However, the part that I did have to do on my own was the actual work that had to be put in. I had to have the will power to change. I had to make sure I ran everyday. I had to make sure I ate less. I had to hear people say that I couldn't keep it up. I had to shrug off all of the jokes about my new appearance. I was gonna do it and do it with a chip on my shoulder. The opening of the song describes that chip on my shoulder best:
Take these plastic people
Read their lips, now let it linger
Is there anything
That makes them sound, sincere?

Come one tightly hold your hand
Take a deep breath, give them the finger
Are you worried
That your thoughts are not quite clear?
I really just used these things that bothered me as motivation. These people that were motivating me weren't my friends. I wasn't trying to please them. I was just trying to show them what I was made of. And I did. I won the weight loss competition. Like a "One Man Army."

Now I find myself going back to this song. Right now I am having a hard time dealing with extra weight that I am carrying. It is a problem for me because 1) I am struggling to get it off and 2) it is affecting my running. Right now I should not be struggling to finish my long runs. I should be in better shape. I am 220ish weight wise. But I should be lower. I know the problem. I just can't seem to get it under control.

This is where this song comes into play for me this time around. I have to take this on like a "One Man Army" and win my own personal competition. This time the lyrics I will use as fuel will be:

I remember falling
I remember marching
Like a one man army
Through the blaze
I know I'm coughing
I believe in something
I don't wanna remember falling
For your lies
So this is another of many songs that helps motivate and inspire me to be better. Maybe someone else finds their music to be as special as I do. If you do, please let me know. If there is anyone else that you get this much inspiration from let me know so I can check them out. I love to share my music with others but I also love to find new music.

 Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally plan

Music Monday: 100 Million Miles

This week's Music Monday is 100 Million Miles by Monster Magnet. This is one of my favorite running songs. It's really been my mantra for the last few races I have run. I just finished up the MRTC Road Race Series. This year has been a lot harder because I have been dealing with more pain and injuries. This song reminds me that I just have to keep pushing and that when I am done running I can rest and recuperate. I also love the steady beat of the drums. On a easier run I sync each step with each beat. On my harder days I sync my right foot to each beat. That means a lot of turnover! The song is not about running but the chorus and drum beat make it a perfect running song. "Hey, there ain't no pain! 100 million miles away!" Enjoy!

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest. The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea. I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one o