Skip to main content

The mental part of running

I like to say that running is 50% physical and 90% mental. Yeah I know it doesn't add up. It is probably 50/50. Some days it seems like the mental part is the biggest. Sometimes just getting motivated to run is the hardest part. If you can make it that far there is a good chance that at some point in the run you will think "I am done, I can't take one more step". Usually the problem is all in your head. Your body might not feel like running but your head is what is making you not want to run. If your head is not in it you can convince yourself that something is wrong physically or that you really don't need to run today. One way to get yourself to keep running is to pick a landmark to run to. You just need to make it to the next mailbox or driveway. Then once you get there you can set a new goal. If you are on a treadmill maybe you can set a time goal. You can tell yourself to keep running until you reach an even number. The one thing that works best for me is to remind myself that I might not be enjoying  it right now, but when I get home I will feel better and I will feel like I accomplished something. When I am training for a race I have all the motivation that I need. Right now I am not training for any races so some days I have trouble staying motivated. I don't have trouble getting started. My problem is those slow easy runs that can get boring. Sometimes I will say "well I wanna run three miles but I think I will just do two and go home". Now, two miles is great but I lost motivation to do what I really wanted to do. The days when I can do speed work are the easiest days. If you have run or worked out with me you know I like a challenge. But it is those damn easy runs that can get me off track. On the rare occasion that I can find someone to run with me I get that motivation I need. If I am running with someone I am going to run at their pace and I am not going to let them down by quitting early. Also I can motivate the person I am with to keep going or push harder. Keeping yourself motivated is sometimes a difficult thing to do, you just have to get in the right frame of mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally plan

Music Monday: 100 Million Miles

This week's Music Monday is 100 Million Miles by Monster Magnet. This is one of my favorite running songs. It's really been my mantra for the last few races I have run. I just finished up the MRTC Road Race Series. This year has been a lot harder because I have been dealing with more pain and injuries. This song reminds me that I just have to keep pushing and that when I am done running I can rest and recuperate. I also love the steady beat of the drums. On a easier run I sync each step with each beat. On my harder days I sync my right foot to each beat. That means a lot of turnover! The song is not about running but the chorus and drum beat make it a perfect running song. "Hey, there ain't no pain! 100 million miles away!" Enjoy!

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest. The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea. I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one o