Skip to main content

Hot Feet!

Yesterday's run was a little interesting.

Not all of my runs are interesting so I don't feel the need to post about every one of them. But sometimes I will have one that sticks out and seems worthy (at least to me) of a post.

If you follow me on twitter then you may have noticed that Monday I deemed this "Hell Week" for myself. I just got back from a great vacation (if you like to eat you need to go on vacation with me) and I need to get back on track with the goals I set a few months ago. I really planned on losing some weight and getting in better shape before I start training for my marathon. The marathon is in December so my training program starts in August.

Well....I really haven't gotten to where I want to be so this week I am doing as much extra cardio as I possibly can.

Monday's workout, along with the fact that my shoes are in need of replacement, left my feet absolutely screaming. So, monday night before I went to work I used my foot soothing cream on my feet. Bad idea. The stuff never makes my feet feel better at the time. They usually start burning a few hours later in the places that my feet aren't hurting. More on that later.

On to tuesday's run. The plan was to get a good leg workout before I ran, like I normally do. I got halfway through my workout when I noticed the sky was getting a little darker. I knew we were expecting rain so I decided to go ahead and get my run in. I was in such a hurry to get started that I didn't even take time to get my watch out of my locker.

Sometimes I get to be too competitive with myself when I look at my watch every mile. So running without a watch makes me feel naked. Naked in a good way. I don't feel like I have to hit a certain time each mile so I feel free.

The plan when I got outside was to run fartleks. Fartleks are basically intervals of slow running and fast running. They are by far my favorite speed workout. The problem was that I really didn't have much "push" in my legs. I knew I would have a hard time with the fast intervals so I decided to just run my normal pace for 3 or 4 miles.

Mile 1 was okay. I was pretty much just feeling out how much I had in the tank.

Mile 2 is when I really got going. This is where I usually get comfortable and really settle in.

I was running the one mile loop at the Y. As I was just hitting my stride I saw a guy running the opposite direction as me. This guy is a former Marine and is in great shape and had his shirt off. Now, I am not the alpha male type really but if I see another guy out running when I am I get a little competitive. Especially when the guy is in better shape than me. We were running in opposite directions but all I could think was "if we were racing I would smoke his ass!" Yes, I am competitive and cocky. So obviously adrenaline was kicking in. I passed him twice more because he doing a different, shorter loop.

As I mentioned earlier I had used that foot cream the night before. By the time I started my third mile my feet were burning. I used it for the bottom of my feet but the little bit that I put on the top was crazy hot. Twelve hours later! As I type this my feet are still burning a little bit.

When I got to the end of mile 3 I had to stop. I felt like the tops of me feet were literally on fire. Between the foot cream, the humidity, the running and my adrenaline it was too much. So I went back into the gym and dried off and hopped on the bike.

I have no idea what my time was or if I am faster than the other guy that was outside running. It is now wednesday morning and it still hasn't rained. But I know one thing for sure: I am gonna throw that freaking foot cream away when I get home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally plan

Music Monday: 100 Million Miles

This week's Music Monday is 100 Million Miles by Monster Magnet. This is one of my favorite running songs. It's really been my mantra for the last few races I have run. I just finished up the MRTC Road Race Series. This year has been a lot harder because I have been dealing with more pain and injuries. This song reminds me that I just have to keep pushing and that when I am done running I can rest and recuperate. I also love the steady beat of the drums. On a easier run I sync each step with each beat. On my harder days I sync my right foot to each beat. That means a lot of turnover! The song is not about running but the chorus and drum beat make it a perfect running song. "Hey, there ain't no pain! 100 million miles away!" Enjoy!

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest. The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea. I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one o