Skip to main content

Music Monday: Working Man

This week's Music Monday is "Working Man" by Rush.

This is one of my favorite running songs. It is a song that found it's way to me in that weird way that a lot of other music has.

Ever since I can remember I always HATED Rush. I think it was always Geddy Lee's voice. So if Rush came on the radio I would change the station. I may have heard this song at some point in my life but never gave it a listen because I HATE Rush.

We don't get very many radio stations in our office at work but for a short while we could pick up a classic rock station so I would leave the radio on all night. One night, probably about a year ago, I walked into the office and I heard this amazing guitar solo playing. As I was rocking out at my desk I thought "damn this is sweet! Who is this?"

Then it happened.......Geddy Lee's voice.

SHIT!

But I HATE Rush!

If I would have walked in at any other point in the song I would have turned it down or walked out of the office. But I guess the only way for this song to find me was through this amazing guitar solo. Over the next couple weeks I heard it again a few times and thought it would be a great running song. So I went to iTunes and bought it. Dammit! But I HATE Rush!

But much like U2, who I also HATE, I now have a copy of their greatest hits.

Moral of the story: If I HATE something and swear I'll never do it, chances are I will end up liking and doing it.

Kinda like I said I would never use Facebook, Twitter, blog, use a cell phone, run a marathon, do yoga......................

This song is great for running because I love the guitars in it. I get a nice steady pace with the song through the first half of the song. The solo is KILLER! The first time I listened to it while running I was at the end of a ten miler. I got to the ten mile mark and had to keep going. I just couldn't stop with that solo and just the way the song picks up toward the end. I kept running until the song was over! (probably another half mile) This song is just an absolute energy boost for me!

Enjoy!



Comments