Skip to main content

Music Monday: Coeur d'Alene

This week's Music Monday is "Coeur d'Alene" by Alter Bridge.

This song is about a lake near where the lead singer Myles Kennedy lives. It's a place where he goes to get away from everything and find peace.

Listening to it makes me think about the place I go to "get away". That place for me is a long run. A long run for me is ten miles or more.

There is something therapeutic about a long run. I can work out a lot of problems when I am out there. I know I am gonna be by myself for at least an hour and a half. I can do a lot of thinking.....or I can think about nothing.

I can always tell when I need a long run. I get really frustrated easily, very irritable. I know my mind needs it even more than my body.

Right now I have a something that is really bothering me. Something that I am dealing with internally that I haven't told anyone about.

Right now I need a long run. I know that when I get one in I will hopefully get some clarity on the issue I am dealing with. I know I'll feel lost until I get out there and go. It's just a matter of time until I get that therapy of the road and the pounding of my feet and the release of emotion I get out there.

Running, especially longer distances, helps me almost as much as music when I am dealing with "stuff". Right now this is the only song that I can really seem to relate to what I am dealing with.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally pla…

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest.

The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea.

I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one ove…

Like father, like son

I remember watching my dad run when I was a kid. I remember looking out the window thinking how awesome it was. I remember asking him about running and telling him that I wanted to run with him one day. I never got a chance to. I really had kind of forgotten those memories until recently. I started running when I was 28. That was nineteen years after he passed away. I always knew I wanted to run but never really tried. I have a picture of him running. His running form looks like mine. So I guess that means that my perfect running form was inherited. He carried a small bullwhip he got from Mexico as protection from the dogs on his route. I have that whip but I haven't felt the need to carry it yet. Everytime I see it I remember him telling me about the dogs that would chase him. I often wonder how fast he was. How much did he enjoy running? How long did he run? I wonder what it would have been like to run with him. Sometimes on my long runs I will feel a breeze at my back. I like t…