Skip to main content

Mental Day Off

Sometimes I just need a "mental day off".

A day to get my head straight. Or as the great Cincinnati Reds TV announcer George Grande calls it - "a check-up from the neck-up". Maybe I need to find my focus. Maybe I know my body really needs a break even if I don't want to give it one. But usually for me a mental day is just a day to get some sleep. A day to go straight home and not think about running or working out. Just rest.

I do some kind of workout almost every day. I usually run five or six days a week. I usually lift weights two or three days a week. I try to make it to as many yoga and pilates classes as I can. I also try to fit in other core workouts when possible. I try to take at least one day off a week, usually Saturday or Sunday. Or both if we have a busy weekend.

The problem is during the week. I do all of this in the morning after I have been at work all night. Now, getting all of these things done takes a little bit of time. Add in the fact that according to my wife I am a "social butterfly" and I spend alot of time talking to people at the Y. So by the time I am finished at the gym and get home and get to bed it is already late in the day. I usually wake up when Staci and the kids get home. Which means I get about five hours of sleep. Maybe. Right now we are really busy so some days I have to get up earlier than usual.

One problem I have is my tendency to over train. I tend to do more than I need to do because I feel like I have to make up for all of the years that I didn't exercise or take care of my body. I am also not very patient. I am training for my marathon that is in December and I feel like I should already be in marathon shape. I know these ideas are wrong but they are hard to turn off. So the fact that I don't feel like I am progressing enough has made my confidence drop even though I have been working extremely hard.

My physical state is affecting my mental state. While that is something that I can usually get through, I can't right now. Why? After much self reflection I realized that the problem is, well, I am freaking tired! My body is tired from all of the workouts. My mind is tired from all of the things that are keeping me so busy. And oh by the way, I am sleepy. I haven't been getting very much sleep lately. One day of short sleep turns into two days of short sleep and I can never seem to catch up.

So today my plan is to go home and sleep. I do have to get up early but at least I will be going to bed early. Hopefully this "mental day off" will get me closer to being back on track. So for now I will forget about all of these issues and work on getting home and getting back to where I need to be physically and mentally. As for Friday's workout? It's gonna be AWESOME!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first blog post!

Well, here it is. The moment that only a couple people have been waiting for. My first blog post. A few months back I noticed a friend of mine on facebook had a post that was a link to a blog. The title seemed interesting so I figured I would check it out. I was blown away by how honest and brave it was of her to write about something that was a very personal subject. I really didn't know that much about her but I knew what she was refering to and I thought it was amazing that she could be so bold. After I read some of her blogs I started reading others. I found some from runners and other athletes and musicians. I became inspired by alot of the things I was reading. Something that I never shared with anyone, until I told my wife Staci, was that I always wanted to be able to write out my feelings. When I told her I am not sure she thought I was serious. I rarely even say what is on my mind, how could I ever put it into words on a computer. Well, here goes nothing. I originally plan

Music Monday: 100 Million Miles

This week's Music Monday is 100 Million Miles by Monster Magnet. This is one of my favorite running songs. It's really been my mantra for the last few races I have run. I just finished up the MRTC Road Race Series. This year has been a lot harder because I have been dealing with more pain and injuries. This song reminds me that I just have to keep pushing and that when I am done running I can rest and recuperate. I also love the steady beat of the drums. On a easier run I sync each step with each beat. On my harder days I sync my right foot to each beat. That means a lot of turnover! The song is not about running but the chorus and drum beat make it a perfect running song. "Hey, there ain't no pain! 100 million miles away!" Enjoy!

My new tattoos

I just recently got my tattoo finished and added a few. I already had the letter N with my wife and kid's names in it. I just added the latest (and last!) addition to our family and added a crest. The N was pretty plain for a reason. I really wanted to get a tattoo with the names in an N but I really wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I went to a shop and the guy that helped me didn't really help me much at all. But I knew I at least wanted the names and the N because the names line up perfectly. The two Ss line up and the two Es line up. I decided that I could get that and finish it later somewhere else. Probably a good idea. I kinda toyed with ideas for what I wanted to do and got close to getting it done. And then the surprise. We had Olivia. So now I have to find a way to get her name on it. The idea for her name came from a hat my Grandfather had given me a few years ago from our family reunion. The second N in my last name has a tilde above it. The hat had one o